Tips for a Successful Garage Sale
Pick a Date – June 7th-June 9th Friday, Saturday & Sunday 9am-3pm
- Team up with neighbors! – This is a neighborhood event!
Gather your items – This is a time to de-clutter. Take the time to go through each room, basement, attic, closets & garage, if you don’t use it, it may be time to let it go.
- You can separate items into piles – keep, sell & toss. This may help things from becoming overwhelming as you go through each room.
Advertise – HomesIn719.com will take care of that for you!
- com will hit all major garage/yard sale websites. Garage/yard sale apps. Garage/yard sale Facebook pages, our business page, Craigslist & Nextdoor.
Put up Signs – Homesin719.com will have signs at the neighborhood entrances and throughout the neighborhood.
- If you take the time to register with Michelle@HomesIn719.com we will also make a list of homes participating and provide copies to you so the customers will have a list of all houses participating. This will help shoppers know where to go.
- Do you have accessories you are selling? Have a mirror so people can see what they look like.
- Do you have electronics you are selling? Have batteries or an outlet so they can make sure it works.
- Have change. Make sure you lots of small bills and coin so you can make change quickly. Bonus tip – plan to get more than you think you’ll need, better to have it than to need it. One site recommended $75-100 in change $5’s, $1’s & Quarters.
Make it look like a store
- Make everything look nice and tidy. If you can, have items on tables so buyers don’t have to bend over.
- Make sure items are clean – take the time to dust off items etc.
- Wash and hang your clothes – it will be easier to sell items if they are clean. Hang items if you can, customers like the feel of shopping.
- Group like items together. Kitchen w/ kitchen, toys w/ toys etc.
- Put big ticket items closer to the street to draw buyers in.
Price it right –
- Recommended to sell items 10-25% of new price
- Put prices on the items
- Be willing to negotiate
- On the last day of the sale consider offering additional discounts
- People aren’t looking to spend a lot, items over $100.00 may sell better online
- Get comfortable – You will be out all day, have sunscreen, a hat, comfortable clothing, snacks and plenty of water.
Be Safe – While most garage salers are honest people:
- Lock your doors while you are out front for the sale & don’t let anyone in your house to use your restroom.
- Consider keeping large bills in your pocket & don’t leave your cash box unattended.
- Be leary of large bills (counterfeit) and checks (you don’t want to worry about bounced check fees)
Figure out what to do with unsold items –
- com will rent a truck on Monday 6/10 and will pick up items you wish to donate. Please email Michelle@HomesIn719.com by 5/31 if you would like us to stop by on Monday to pick up your items. This will give us time to rent a truck. Items will be delivered to the ARC Thrift Store. Please see https://www.arcthrift.com/donation/feel-great-donate.html for items that they will NOT accept. Unfortunately we will not be able to provide donation receipts.
- If you would like to have a local charity pick up your items at your home, you can arrange your own pick up, a few options are:
- Drop off items to your preferred charity.
We are so excited for this event & hope it is successful for all of our neighbors!